Recently, VYS Club members have experienced auto break-ins during practice where valuable items were stolen. These incidents occurred at the Oak Marr facility during daylight in heavy trafficked areas. VYS is working with both the Fairfax and Vienna Police Departments to heighten awareness and possibly increase patrols of the facilities. Although these events occurred at one facility, it can happen anywhere, so VYS has provided a “friendly” checklist below to help decrease the likelihood of encountering this unfortunate experience.
Most car theft break-ins are crimes of opportunity. They are commonly referred to as “smash and grab” crimes that can take place in less than 15 seconds.
If you see something suspicious please contact the Police immediately. Do NOT confront the suspect individually.
Keep your valuables either with you or out of sight
Here is a list of what NOT to leave on the seat or dashboard:
- Purses and wallets
- Laptop bags, briefcases and backpacks
- Shopping bags
- Smart phones and other small electronics
- Loose change
Park in high traffic areas
- Park in a busy area of the lot near pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
- Park in a well-lit area or near a streetlamp
Don’t make it easy for them
- Always lock your doors and roll up your windows when you park.
- Activate your security system if you have one.
- Avoid using the console or glove box as mobile lock boxes, since these are obvious to thieves, too.
- Many thieves will scope out the crime scene. So move your items to the trunk before you get to your destination.