VYS will award four $2500 scholarships annually to high school seniors that have participated as players in the club and plan to further their education at a college or university. A one-time $2500 scholarship will be awarded to four high school seniors, typically two boys and two girls, based on the applicant's involvement in the club over the years, their application and supporting information, and a required essay. The VYS Scholarship Program is designed to celebrate the exceptional character of VYS players in general, and acknowledge and reward specific individuals who have demonstrated exceptional standards of sportsmanship, dedication, leadership, community service, and/or perseverance.
To be considered eligible for the scholarship program, each applicant must meet all of the below criteria:
· The applicant must be a high school senior in northern Virginia, attending one of the high schools in the VYS footprint as defined in VYS Financial Aid Policy;
· The applicant must have been a player in VYS at any time;
· The applicant must be seeking post-secondary education at a community college or four year college/university; and
· The applicant must not be the child of a VYS Board member, staff, or coach. Children of VYS volunteer coaches are eligible to apply.
· A one-time $2,500 award will be given to four applicants.
· The selection of the scholarship award winners will be made by the VYS Scholarship Selection Committee.
· The scholarship award check will be issued to the financial aid office of the post-secondary institution designated by the winner.
· The winner is responsible for any/all associated taxes.
· Each applicant shall complete the VYS Scholarship Application.
· Each applicant shall include with their completed Application, the following:
o A copy of your high school transcript;
o A list of the VYS activities in which the applicant has participated (Application includes required details);
o A list of the organizations and/or activities in which the applicant has participated since the beginning of high school;
o A list of any academic honors or awards that applicant has earned (Application includes required details);
o A personal essay of 250-500 words detailing the applicant’s involvement with VYS and how their involvement has contributed to the applicant’s personal development and/or what VYS has meant to the applicant and their community; and
o A letter of recommendation (Application includes required details).
· Application and all required supporting materials should be submitted via email to: scholarships@VYS.org
· Deadline for receiving the application and supporting materials is April 30, 2019
After the VYS Scholarship Selection Committee reviews all eligible submitted applications and supporting materials, and determines the winner, the Committee will notify the recipients of the awarded scholarships in June, 2019. Scholarship checks will be mailed to the financial aid offices by August 1, 2019.
For any questions regarding the VYS Scholarship program, please contact the VYS Scholarship Committee at scholarships@VYS.org.