As one of Northern Virginia’s premier soccer clubs, Vienna Youth Soccer (VYS) enables both girls and boys of all ages to train and compete in an elite environment that promotes character, confidence and community. VYS currently offers Travel (U9-U18) and Super Y (U10-U18) programs, and is proud be a participant in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy as a member of the Virginia Development Academy (VDA).
All VYS Travel teams are coached by VYS professional staff and organized by age groups. Within age groups teams are formed by ability to ensure the development of all players is maximized. The training and coaching of VYS Travel teams are governed by the VYS Travel Coaches’ handbook.
VYS is far more than a mere soccer club. Fostering a deep sense of community, VYS guides players in all aspects of personal development while promoting team support, trust and friendship.
Whether it is on or off the field, VYS is dedicated to instilling a lifetime love of soccer in its youth. #ALifetimeOfSoccer
VYS Travel provides opportunities for players to participate in high quality, competitive soccer to help them reach personal goals and to develop as players to reach their full soccer potential.
- To identify and support the development of every player
- To enhance player development, incorporating technical, tactical, physical and psychological/social aspects
- To identify, recruit and develop the most talented coaches
- To implement a comprehensive coach mentoring program for the development of coaches
- To develop players to reach their individual goals and ambitions
- To support coaches to progress and develop
- To ensure all VYS families have a positive experience as part of the Vienna community
The VYS Coaching Philosophy is centered on player development and can be characterized by 4 main components:
- Training and competition are age and ability based. At younger ages, the focus is on ball mastery. At older ages, decision making and problem solving as a team become important.
- Training is reality based. Does it look like soccer? Replicate problems players face in competition in a meaningful way during training.
- Learning is experiential. Do we encourage learning by doing? Create an environment where failure is allowed and utilized as a learning tool.
- Coaching is holistic. Are we incorporating all elements of the game in our teaching? Does our development path make sense?
VYS Coaching Style
- Prioritize the development of all players.
- Prioritize development over results.
- Create a fun and challenging environment.
- Be prepared and organized.
- Let players learn by doing.
- Let players learn from mistakes. (allow them!)
- Be specific and detail oriented in teaching moments. (demonstrate.)
- Emphasize decision making over outcomes.
- Be calm and composed so players can be calm and composed in execution.
- Provide regular constructive feedback, and be open and approachable.
- Share knowledge, and be eager to learn.
Check Out Other VYS Programs
The 2018 Spring House Program is open for registration! Register early and avoid the waitlist!
Winter Programs registration is open for our U4 - U12 house players. Sessions begin Jan 3. Space is limited. Register early to reserve your player's spot! View the complete schedule.