This policy applies to all players ages 5-18 in VYS.
Subject to the availability of funds, VYS will offer financial aid made on a defined set of factors. All award decisions are made at the sole direction of the VYS Financial Aid Committee. The application and aid information will be kept confidential.
Form of Assistance
VYS may waive VYS registration fees for any player whose parent or guardian requests such assistance. All players must pay the State and County Fees as stated above. Additional expenses that are necessary for participation on House and/or Travel teams will also be considered under the eligibility criteria listed below.
Additional Expenses and Equipment Vouchers
For House, additional expenses could include, but are not limited to shin guards, soccer socks, and soccer cleats. Aid for these is provided in the form of an equipment voucher to the player’s parent/guardian. The equipment vouchers are awarded for use at a local soccer retailer who has agreed to work with VYS on this program. Equipment vouchers will only be provided to an individual every other season. (Eg., if your receive an equipment voucher in the Fall of 2017, you are not eligible to receive one in the Spring of 2018). Requests for vouchers must be made at the time of registration. VYS may also cover the cost of the jerseys for House players in the U13 and older age groups. The cost of a new jerseys will only be covered every other season. (Shirts for U12 and below are provided as part of the registration fee.)
For Travel, additional expenses could include, but not be limited to:shin guards, soccer socks, and soccer cleats. Any extra items, such as team jackets, warm-up suits, equipment bags, or items that teams decide to purchase that are not necessary for participation in the program are not covered by the financial aid policy. The cost of shin guards, soccer socks and soccer cleats is provided in the form of an equipment voucher to the player’s parent/guardian. The equipment vouchers are awarded or use at a local soccer retailer who has agreed to work with VYS on this program. Equipment vouchers will only be provided to an individual every other season. As Travel players only register in the fall, all voucher requests must be made at the time of Fall registration.
Mandatory Eligibility Criteria for Additional Assistance
Must be needs-based. The eligibility threshold is combined parental adjusted Gross Income of less than $80,000 (line 37 on Federal tax return form 1040).
- Must be school aged (ie. 5-18 years old).
- Must make a commitment to attend a minimum of 80% of scheduled practices and games.
- Must fill out the financial aid application completely.
- Must fill out the financial aid application at the time of initial registration. House registrations must be completed prior to the first day of scheduled practices and travel registrations must be completed two weeks prior to the start of scheduled practices. No exceptions granted.
- Proof of Eligibility should be uploaded at the time of registration. If uploading is not possible, documents must be mailed or emailed within 5 days of registration.
Vienna Youth Soccer
Attention: Financial Aid
PO Box 993
Vienna, VA 22183
Acceptable documents include the following:
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Free or Reduced Lunch Program
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Medicaid
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Food Stamps
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Social Security Income (SSI)
If you are not eligible for public assistance benefits or cannot provide a copy of one of the documents listed above, please submit a copy of your current Federal Tax 1040 form (first page only).
The Board will approve a set pool for financial aid availability each season (Fall/Spring) for House and a set pool each seasonal year for Travel. Included in the pool will be hardship donations which are solely used for financial aid. Based on the amount of the scholarship pool and amount of financial requests, awards will be distributed. The maximum amount for Travel will be $1210 per seasonal year.
The following are the guidlines for the amount of aid for which Travel players are eligible:
- Free Lunch (FARMS) form, SNAP (food stamps) form, TANF form, or a documented income at 130% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for the full Travel financial aid award of $1,210 per player per year.
- Reduced Lunch (FARMS) form, Medicaid form or a documented income at 185% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for $1,010 per player per year
- No FARMS forms, SNAP form, TANF form, or Medicaid form but with a documented income at 250% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for $810 per player per year
- No FARMS forms, SNAP form, TANF form, or Medicaid form but with a documented income at 300% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for $710 per player per year.
Families of applicants receiving VYS awards may be requested to provide up to 8 hours of volunteer service to VYS each season. Those applicants asked to volunteer and do not complete service maybe ineligible for future aid awards.
- Applications will be submitted to the Director of Finance by the families requesting assistance and will be kept confidential. The Director of Finance, in conjunction with the Financial Aid Committee will approve requests to ensure guidelines are met.
- For House players, financial assistance awards will be granted twice a year, prior to the Fall and Spring seasons. For Travel players, financial assistance awards will be granted in the fall, at the beginning of the seasonal year.
- As stated above, the deadline for Travel applications is two weeks before the first practice of the season. Proof of eligibility must be received within 5 days of application The deadline for House applications is the start first day of scheduled practice of the season. Proof of eligibility must be received within 5 days of application.
- Total amount of assistance available for distribution prior to each season can be influenced by the amount of funds collected from donations through registration and other programs that are approved by the BOD.
- The committee may also review the number of applicants within a team and age group and adjust amounts to ensure equality across the pool of applicants. However, there is no limit per team of how many players may request financial aid.
- Applicants for financial assistance must be registered with VYS for the upcoming season, and must complete a separate financial aid application form. Proof of Eligibility must be provided each season.
- All funds donated to the hardship fund will only be used for that purpose.
- A report will be made to the BOD at the end of each season by the Director of Finance explaining how the funds were disbursed.