This policy applies to all players ages 5-19 in VYS and is issued by the VYS Board of Directors with the intent of allowing more low income players or those experiencing financial hardship an opportunity to play soccer with VYS.
VYS will offer financial aid made on a defined set of factors. All award decisions are made at the sole direction of VYS. The application and aid information will be kept confidential.
There are four types of fees and expenditures necessary to participate in the Vienna Youth Soccer (VYS) soccer programs:
- These are centralized fees paid directly through the VYS registration system and apply to both House and Travel programs. Eligible for up to 100% reimbursement, subject to each qualifying Travel player paying a minimum $40 fee per soccer year to VYS, and each House player paying a minimum $18 per season to VYS.
- These are individual team expenses not covered by the Club Fees and handled via a payment process determined by each individual team. Team Fees apply only to the Travel program and are eligible for up to 100% reimbursement, subject to a limit of $400 per soccer year.
- These are fees to purchase the required VYS travel uniform kit; parents/guardians purchase the VYS uniform kit directly through . Uniform Fees apply only to the Travel program and are not eligible for reimbursement.
VYS may waive VYS Club Fees and Team Fees for any player whose parent or guardian requests such assistance. All House players must pay the State and County Fees of $18 and all Travel players must pay a minimum fee of $40. Additional expenses that are necessary for participation on House and/or Travel teams will also be considered under the eligibility criteria listed below.
additional expenses could include, but not limited to shin guards, soccer socks, and soccer cleats. These would be provided in the form of an equipment voucher to the player’s parent/guardian and may not cover the full cost of the equipment. The equipment vouchers are awarded for use at a local soccer retailer who has agreed to work with VYS on this program. Equipment vouchers will only be provided to an individual every other season and may not cover the full cost of the equipment. (E.g. if you receive an equipment voucher in the Fall of 2017, you are not eligible to receive one in the Spring of 2018). Requests for vouchers must be made at the time of registration. VYS may also cover the cost of the jerseys for House players in the U13 and older age groups. The cost of a new jerseys will only be covered every other season. (Shirts for U12 and below are provided as part of the registration fee.)
additional expenses could include, but not be limited to: certain equipment necessary for program participation, such as shin guards, soccer socks, and soccer cleats. Any extra items, such as team jackets, warm-up suits, equipment bags, or items that teams decide to purchase that are not necessary for participation in the program are not covered by the financial aid policy. The cost of shin guards, soccer socks and soccer cleats is provided in the form of an equipment voucher to the player’s parent/guardian. The equipment vouchers are awarded for use at a local soccer retailer who has agreed to work with VYS on this program. Equipment vouchers will only be provided to an individual every other season. As Travel players only register in the fall, all voucher requests must be made at the time of fall registration.
The eligibility threshold is combined parental adjusted Gross Income of less than $80,000 (line 37 on Federal tax return form 1040).
- Must be school aged (ie. 5-19 years old).
- Must make a commitment to attend a minimum of 80% of scheduled practices and games.
- Must fill out the financial aid application completely.
- Must fill out the financial aid application at the time of initial registration.
- House registrations must be completed prior to the first day of scheduled practices and travel registrations must be completed two weeks prior to the start of scheduled practices.
- Proof of Eligibility should be uploaded at the time of registration. If uploading is not possible, documents must be mailed or emailed of registration.
- In addition, for the applicants for Travel Program financial aid:
- Must request financial aid during the tryout registration process, as applicable.
- Must reside in Vienna or Oakton, or …
- Must attend one of the qualified schools listed in Appendix A.
- Grandfather clause: The address and school criteria shall not be enforced for Travel or House players registered to play with VYS in the 2017/2018 soccer year. These players shall be grandfathered as eligible to receive financial aid.
Vienna Youth Soccer
Attention: Financial Aid
311 Maple Ave West Unit D
Vienna, VA 22180
Acceptable documents for documenting the mandatory eligibility criteria include the following:
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Free or Reduced Lunch Program
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Medicaid
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Food Stamps
- Current Proof of Eligibility for Social Security Income (SSI)
- Proof of address or school attendance (Travel only)
If you are not eligible for public assistance benefits and cannot provide a copy of one of the documents listed above, please submit a copy of your current Federal Tax 1040 form (first page only).
The Board will approve a set pool for financial aid availability each season (Fall/Spring). Included in the pool will be hardship donations which are solely used for financial aid. Based on the amount of the scholarship pool and amount of financial requests, awards will be distributed.
The following are the guidelines for the amount of aid for which travel players are eligible:
- Free Lunch (FARMS) form, SNAP (food stamps) form, TANF form, or a documented income at 130% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for financial aid award that covers 100% of travel fees and team fees, subject to each qualifying player paying $40 fee to VYS and any team fees in excess of $400 per soccer year
- Reduced Lunch (FARMS) form, Medicaid form or a documented income at 185% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for financial aid award that covers 85% of travel fees and team fees (maximum of $340).
- No FARMS forms, SNAP form, TANF form, or Medicaid form but with a documented income at 250% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for financial aid award that covers 70% of travel fees and 70% of team fees (maximum of $280).
- No FARMS forms, SNAP form, TANF form, or Medicaid form but with a documented income at 300% of the federal poverty level for the household: qualify for financial aid award that covers 55% of travel fees and 55% of team fees (maximum of $220).
Families of applicants receiving VYS awards may be requested to provide up to 8 hours of volunteer service to VYS each season. Those applicants asked to volunteer who do not complete service maybe ineligible for future aid awards.
- Applicants for financial assistance must be registered with VYS for the upcoming season, and must complete a separate financial aid application form. Proof of Eligibility must be provided each season.
- Applications will be submitted to the Director of Finance by the families requesting assistance and kept confidential. The Director of Finance will review requests to ensure they meet applicable guidelines.
- For House players, financial assistance awards will be granted twice a year, prior to the Fall and Spring seasons. For Travel players, financial assistance awards will be granted in the fall, at the beginning of the seasonal year.