Seeking Technical Director for Vienna Youth Soccer
Vienna Youth Soccer (VYS), a soccer only club with a membership of 3500 located in Northern Virginia, is seeking a full-time Technical Director (TD) to lead the coaching and player development programs at both the Recreational and Travel levels.
The mission of Vienna Youth Soccer is to provide the opportunity for children of all abilities living in and near Vienna to be involved in a high-quality soccer experience where the player:
- Is coached using the principles of Positive Coaching.
- Has fun playing the game.
- Receives positive support at all times.
- Feels like an important part of the team regardless of individual performance.
- Learns sportsmanship and “life lessons” that have value beyond the playing field.
- Learns age appropriate skills, tactics and strategies of the game.
- Plays soccer at a level commensurate with his/her individual ability, potential and interest.
- Is instilled with physical, mental and social growth.
VYS offers a variety of training programs for coaches and players, as well as Recreational, Travel, and Adult leagues and a TOPSoccer program. The club has access to 3 lighted synthetic turf fields, 1 Bermuda grass field, and 18 other grass fields.
VYS desires to take its coaching education and player development programs to the next level and is hiring a TD to provide a more strategic, programmatic approach in both these areas. The TD will also serve as an adviser to the Board and to VP House and VP Travel.
- A-level USSF license or B-level with capability/willingness to earn A-level within two years (or the equivalent from a recognized international soccer organization). C-level considered if candidate has significant relevant experience as a TD.
- USYSA National Youth License.
- At least 10 years of youth coaching experience.
- Playing experience that demonstrates strong skills and soccer knowledge; professional or college level highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to develop coaches and players.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively engage with Board members, coaches, players, and parents.
- Strong written and verbal communication and time management skills.
- Previous experience as a Technical Director highly desired.
- At least a Bachelors Degree from an accredited university highly desired.
Scope of TD Position:
- Full-time position; given seasonal nature of VYS, the position will require significantly more hours of work per week during the spring and fall seasons, and considerably fewer hours during the off-season.
- Focus of position is on coaching education and player development.
- TD will work with both Travel and House programs and will be expected to devote roughly 60 percent of time to House and 40 percent to Travel.
- TD will be provided administrative and registrar support for VYS activities and for summer and holiday camps.
- TD will report to and be evaluated by the President of VYS with input from VP of House and the VP of Travel.
- TD policy recommendations will be reviewed and approved by the Travel Committee with regards to travel issues and by VP House with regards to recreational issues.
- TD will serve as a member of Travel Committee, will attend all Board meetings as an adviser, and will consult and collaborate with VYS advisory committees.
- TD will present an annual plan to VYS Board for approval outlining strategic objectives, key goals and metrics, and programmatic and financial details of coaching education and player development programs.
Duties for Recreational Program:
- Develop and implement an age-appropriate training program for VYS recreational coaches.
- Administer and/or teach a regular schedule of USSF coach licensing courses including F, E, and one D course per year; recommend to VYS Board minimum coach certification requirements at each age level.
- Provide technical support to coaches in the form of age-specific curriculums and training plans; a resource library of books, DVDs, web-based material; and updated content on the coaches tab on VYS website.
- Conduct skill development clinics and training seminars for players and coaches.
- Recommend vendors and/or other trainers, when needed, to augment TD in providing coaching and player development training. VYS Board must approve financial commitments and review qualifications.
- Review All-star program for improvements in player and coach selections, player preparations, and overall quality of All-Star program.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to VP House on rules and procedures for each age group, team formation and other competitive activities, grievances relating to coaches, and other soccer-related questions that may arise during the season.
Duties for Travel Program:
- Actively engage to find qualified coaches and help form U-9 travel teams with the objective of laying a stable, strong foundation for continuing success.
- Implement a continuing education program and training seminars for travel coaches.
- Mentor, evaluate, and give feedback to travel coaches; make recommendations to Travel Committee regarding selection and, in some circumstances, removal of travel coaches.
- Coach one VYS travel team each year (fall and spring season).
- Help design and implement off-season player development programs.
- Select vendors and/or other trainers, when needed, to augment TD in providing coaching and player development. VYS Board must approve financial commitments and review qualifications.
- Identify talented players for additional opportunities such as ODP or other elite programs.
The TD will have a market-based competitive salary for living in the northern Virginia area with a combination of salary and revenue from programs developed by the TD, including summer and holiday camps. Exact details to be negotiated.
Application package will consist of a resume, written answers to the five questions outlined below, and three references. Deadline for applications is 15 July 2010. Please send completed package to:
Vienna Youth Soccer, Inc
PO Box 993
Vienna, VA 22183
Please call Mark Gardiner (703-242-6358) with any questions.
Questions for Applicants (maximum of two pages per answer):
1) Describe your coaching philosophy and the most important factors that a coach must take into consideration in coaching youth soccer players.
2) What are the key challenges in developing a strong recreational youth player development program? Briefly describe what strategies and innovative programs you would implement in the first 12 months.
3) What are the key challenges for recreational (often parent) coaches and how would you address them?
4) What are the key challenges in developing a comprehensive travel program that provides opportunities at multiple levels of talent and commitment? Briefly describe what strategies and innovative programs you would implement in the first 12 months.
5) What are the top three measures of success that you would want to be evaluated on after two years in the TD job? What are the top three after 5 years?